Goldie

 


Sometimes, life graces you with a good buddy for many years. This was the case with Goldie, 17 years of steadfast comradery. 

She was found as a 3 month old pup, roaming a parking lot. I was observing her from a far. Those she approached for help shunned her.

I rolled the old El Co up near her, opened the door, squatted on the ground and said, "most don't listen well do they kid?"

She sheepishly approached me, ears back, tail wagging with an embarrassed look in those gorgeous, black lined, eyes. 

She hopped in the car. We did a courtesy round through the parking lot asking if she belonged to anyone - we were ignored. 

I drove home with my new buddy and she easily joined the existing pack of Murphy, Winston, ChiDoxie and Peppy. She fit like a glove in the household and was nothing but perfect. Her cross of shepherd and Golden was just the sweetest, loving and caring mix. As she grew into her perfect self, she was the perfect momma to all the pack.

The surviving part of that pack that moved with us to Tehachapi was quite aged. Phife and Peppy passed last year. Goldie was last of that pack. Duane the Dane joined us August of 2020 and is the best thing to happen to Gene since we moved here. 

Sweet Goldie slipped to spirit last Monday. Dr. Alvarez from Farewell from Home was amazing. It was the most considerate and peaceful transition. Dr. Alvarez has mastered the skill of easing an aged and fragile body back to Spirit. He is a blessed angel to have, in such a tender time. 

The Sunday before Goldie seemed to make peace with her failing body. I could finally see resignation in her eyes. I had an appointment a year before to have her put to sleep. A family visit occurred just before the set date, I am not sure what my sister told her, but Goldie rallied and I cancelled the appointment. It was the best year spent with the Golden one. 

After her graceful exit from her body, later that day,  I sensed her next to me as I was doing chores. Restored, jumping with that big crocodile smile of hers. The extensive old spirit pack was there with her. Heaven's joy spilled over to my heart and made a hard day easier. Thank you Spirit. 

I miss my Goldie. I have not been without a personal pooch since I was teenager. Duane is bonded with Gene and while I am good for feed and when he isn't feeling well - Gene and he are a set.

It is very weird being without a small fuzzy. 

Solandana has been adopted by many feral cats in the past few years. Giselle and Schwarztie are the two cats that have been with us for many years now. The inside cats and outside cats are very friendly. No matter what the chore in house or yard, there is always a friendly, feline fuzz ball ready to distract the work ethic. 

Yet, I sorely miss those puppy eyes to look into. Feeding duty is super simple with 1 dog and the cats. The house stays too clean less that big furry beast. 

A clean house seems soul-less without more barking, shedding little beasts. The little beasts always find me, I am sure the home condition will change when the universe sees fit. 

Its been a long and interesting journey the past few years. I don't ever see myself without some little being to bounce silent language ideas off of. Their wisdom and magic makes life worthwhile and wholesome.

As Goldie so eloquently told me as shed her tired body - "we had more good days than bad."

You are so right sweet girl. 

Till, 

Comments


  1. This piece you wrote is so beautiful and touches my heart Renate. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Renate. What a wonderful life you gave her after that rough start she had. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Christmas

Time

Niche